UNRULY THE PLAYLIST
So I'm beginning a playlist of songs correlating with each poem in my book. Mostly, it will be songs by lady identifying people or queerbos.
Below are the first ten poems in the book plus the song I picked and a little italicized snippet of the poem.
Here's a link to the whole thing on Spotify.
😂 plus a pic in this here turtleneck bc snow.
1. One Act- Pop Star by Rebel Kind
We put on sentences like shades and sun
dresses. We stack ourselves
with the nearest mother-fucker
searching for the small drummer:
the percussion of dying
with a little patience.
2. Dear, "Nice Indiana Girls"- Magazine by Caroline Smith
maybe you’ve been taking it
up the ass this whole time,
telling God it’s not his hole
to worry about, fudging
the rules but not enough
to be afraid of consequence
3. Bitter Puppies- Be Your Bro by Those Darlins
She said: if you don’t sleep with them,
that’s what they’re like.
They mope and whine, but
they still follow you around
like you’re going to give them a rub down.
4. Unstrung- Some are Lakes by Land of Talk
this was the half life
of teenage desire, the point in which
I didn’t go down but let boys
finger me, but never sex, not sex
or blowjobs because they
are for Jesus, the pure
body of Christ flexing
in white taffeta
before a fountain of wine.
5. Witch Hunt: The Database- Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac
To begin exploring the nearly 4,000 records of accused witches and documentation of witchcraft belief, select any of the options listed below.
6. First Date- Age 20- Leader of the Pack by The Shangri-Las
(Again through lashes low.)
I’m so very sorry
to bother you but
I also have weak ankles and
I’ll need you
to carry me lots of places.
7. Let Me Tell You How I Got These Scars- People Don't Get What They Deserve by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
With each squishing step, I am:
sparkly with want, with what
is to be, with what is soaked
in the toxic brine of the White River,
pulling trash from my teeth.
8. Pants on Fire- In the Morning I'll Be Better by Tennis
Senior Year of College climbed
herself through windows and schlepped
across dewy front yards between
the hours of 4:30 and 7 in the morning.
9. The Green Girl Goes Out- Apply by Glasser
all out, in sequins, an entirely
sequined dress no matter
it’s against the rules
of the handbook.
10. Sex! Sex! Sex!- Wanna Be On Your Mind by Valerie June
Sex is everywhere. Even waiting
for the bus. Even finally walking home,
the sunrise: brightly colored panties
slapping the face of the sky,
an unmistakable flush,
clouds like cigarette smoke.