Here are the next twenty songs/poetry excerpts.
11. Cameron in the Driveway: Houdini Crash by Buke & Gase
I knew the only way to love Cameron
was as Buffy on Halloween.
A blonde wig to become
a blonde. People yelled at me
riding my bike, understanding
that blondes do have more
12. Summoning Spell: Shave em Dry by Lucille Bogan
For this spell: Get kicked out of a bar, get fucked, buy some Hostess Donettes, and drink a shower beer.
13. Red All Over: Go Far by Emmy the Great
That’s it, she says jump
and you please her, and it pleases
her and you: the chase.
Carmen knows all we want
is motion anyway.
14. Ringling Girl: Angel From Montgomery ft Bonnie Raitt
The lady rides bareback,
performs the first feet-to-feet
forward somersault ever attempted
by a woman and succeeds.
She dismounts to shocked silence.
15. After the Party: Vanessa by Grimes
The only thing that works
is to go to breakfast
alone and determined to answer
the consequences of my actions—
but they are three old men:
regulars here, playing cards
in convex light, putting cigarettes
out in the butter.
16. For Calamity: Buttons and Bows ft Ella Fitzgerald
I spent time gutter-stumbling, stammering,
stuttering rye on my tongue,
no longer pretty, my face caving in
deeper than a well’s dug, my eyes
two sparrows drowned in the bucket.
17. Endora: Juicy ft Emily Wells
you hide yourself, treacherous
to your understanding
of what happiness should be: a man,
a woman, and a lead paint fence.
Wrinkle your nose at me.
I dare you.
18. Corpse Bride: The Wedding March ft Queen
[mothers] [fathers] hand-holding
under an archway of kitchen cutlery.
Bells ringing make them hallowed.
Bells ringing softly,
19. Monologue: Shangri-La by YACHT
I’m twenty-three and feeling this fucked up
cluster of stars in my abdomen bright
as when something hits me. I’m not
pregnant but sometimes I wish I were
20. Motherphysics: Black Sail by Chastity Belt
my mother went invisible, like actually
a ghost and I could barely feel her
without a good cross breeze.
It must matter then, for matter
to have multiple states, Mother
21. Tell Me About Your Dream House: Terrible Angels by CocoRosie
She says a houseboat,
watches the olive drown in her drink,
touches his hand for the fourth time
before even the appetizer.
22. Dear Mom I Drew You a Picture of Yourself: Met Him on a Sunday ft Laura Nyro
She makes the bread as if
to say “Dear God,”
and lays prostrate
her future upon the Formica.
She washes the dishes, wipes
the brow we share, tired
of gloves, roasts, the asparagus
taking root in the yard.
23. To Whom it May Concern: I Admit, I Am Scared by Eskimaux
I’m fucking wasteful. I burn
candles on hot summer days
because I want as much
as possible. I want
you to know I’m fancy-free
24. Stirrup Pants: Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar
Your feet were two slingshots moving
you twice the speed of an average woman
because you were anything but average.
25. Dramamine: Don't Move by Phantogram
There are probably a billion definitions
of motion. I should know because
some of my best stories end:
and then I threw up.
26. Starlet: Put The Blame on Mame by Rita Hayworth, from the movie Gilda
I’m a woman with a man inside
watching me through the keyhole
of my own eyes. I’m my own
voyeur, though I’m strong.
27. Contagion: Hot Knife by Fiona Apple
this little piggy goes up high
to the thigh and higher still
and it’s not her hand
and she’s just saying.
28. Actually an Art: The Turnaround Road by Diane Cluck
First you take a thing
that happens to you and you
don’t believe it. You think
perhaps it’s happened
to someone else, like a friend,
or a stranger in a bad hat.
29. The Tulpa: Girl with One Eye by Florence and the Machine
wasn’t only my shadow
but an idea carved out
smiling all its teeth, staring
from the edges of my eyes
and the corners of things.
30. Miss: Sweet Dreams by Angel Olsen
Yes. Please, Miss. See, I don’t even know
your name. Miss, could you tell us
how you felt during the incident,
as he was running right at you.
Were you scared? Did you think—
what in the world?